The mill, alongside the Old Coach Road, was built in 1782 for making shawls. It was the lower of two mills built at the same time.
The other (now called Speedwell Mill) was for making tape.
Both mills were powered by water held in two large man-made ponds. The water was fed into the mills through pipes mounted on walls.
The mills housed huge waterwheels. The one in the upper mill had a diameter of 41.5 feet.
The water in the ponds was retained by dams.
|Scholes Mill from Tansley Cliff